Wednesday 10am – 10:30am
Every Wednesday, CBS 2′s Dorothy Tucker will join The Perri Small Show (airs M-F, 9a-Noon) for Customer Service, a half-hour program addressing consumer advocacy.
In this age of do-it-yourself, Tucker will empower the audience with lively guests, special features and tons of information on how to become well-informed and conscientious consumers.
Tucker has served as a reporter for CBS 2 Chicago since 1984. Currently she reports for the station’s 5:00pm, 6:00pm and 10:00pm weekday newscasts. Tucker also serves as the station’s consumer reporter, covering issues and trends to help viewers save money and avoid scams.
She joined CBS 2 from KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh, PA where she worked as a general assignment reporter and talk show host. Prior to that, Tucker worked at KWGN-TV in Denver, CO as a general assignment reporter. Previously, she was a reporter and weekend anchor at WREG-TV in Memphis, TN (1979-80). Tucker began her broadcasting career in Peoria, IL at WMBD-TV, after serving as an intern at CBS 2 in 1977.
Tucker has been honored numerous times throughout her career. Her many awards include nine local Emmys, including one for her breaking news reports during the 2008 NIU shootings and two for her work on CBS 2′s 2003 and 2004 broadcasts of the LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon. She was honored by the Chicago Association of Black Journalists with their annual award for Outstanding Television Reporting (1994 and 87) and received a national UPI Spot News Award.
She is on the board of NABJ-Chicago (National Association of Black Journalists) and was co-chairman of their Katrina fundraiser which raised money for hurricane survivors who are making Chicago their new home.
She graduated, with honors, from Northwestern University with a B.S. in Communications. Tucker is currently a member of Northwestern University’s Council of One Hundred.
Tucker, a native Chicagoan, lives in Hyde Park and is the mother of three.
Feel free to let us know what you think of Customer Service with Dorothy Tucker and which consumer issues you’d like to see Dorothy tackle on future segments.
WVON listeners get FREE access to Checkbook.org as heard on Dorothy Tucker’s Customer Service.
- Let the LaSalle Network help you find a job! Click here.
- Financial advice in case of divorce. Click here.
- New help for consumers from Consumer World! Click here.
- Fighting for financial reform:
- How to challenge credit bureaus and your credit score:
- Save on college costs by visiting the Lighthouse College Planning and Lighthouse Financial Group, Inc. websites.
- Dorothy tells you how to save on summer movie tickets! Click here to watch her CBS-2 report.
- Free money-grants and scholarships: click here for more information.
- Dorothy shows you how to cut the cost of cleaning your home! Watch her CBS-2 report here.
- Scams and confusion over over electric choices. CUB has answers here.
- Can you cut the cord to cable? Click here to learn more.
- Wrongly Forclosed-Click here for Q&A.
- Help reducing your cell phone bill from CUB. Click here.
- Cell phone data slowing down? Click here to read why.
- Good deals and bad deals, both at dealnow.com!
- Earn Free Miles at e-miles.com!
- CouponTrade is your one-stop-shop for gift cards, daily deals and coupon codes.
- Federal Jobs Program:
- Paul Simon Jobs Corps Center 3348 South Kedzie Avenue Chicago, IL 60623
- For more information call: 773-890-3131
- Trying to avoid debit card fees? Search for options on Low Card$.com!
- Want to know how raise your credit score fast? Click here to watch Dorothy’s CBS 2 report!
- Check your credit score for free! Visit creditkarma.com.
- For help with Military Veterans, visit these websites:
- For help with repaying student loans, click one of the links below:
- If you’re a home owner and your mortage is underwater, these organizations can help:
- To see Dorothy’s story on home owners walking away from upside down mortgages, click here
- To keep up with the latest fiscal policies in Illinois, visit the Illinois Policy Institute.
- Young Adults Health Insurance. Click here.
- Dorothy tells you how to get free money for gas! Click here!
- The Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, Inc. Contact Paul Strauss at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For bankruptcy help, visit abi.org, nacba.org, acbworld.org, or email your question to Attorney David Leibowitz at lakelaw.com.
- For forclosure help, visit illinoisprobono.org. For more from David Leibowitz visit his website, lakelaw.com.
- Rental Car Scams: consumerreports.org/cro/index.htm
- Property Tax Appeal: cookcountyboardofreview.com
- For second chance daily deals, go to: DealsGoRound, Lifesta, or CoupRecoup!
- Prom season is right around the corner! For some ways to save on Prom dresses, visit the Barbara Bates Foundation or The Glass Slipper Project!
- Find out if you’re owed any money from the State of IL! Click here.
- For some smart ways to save on Cell Phones, check out these websites: Coupon Sherpa, Celltrade, Gift Card Granny, or the text with voice app!
- For spring travel deals, go to STA Travel or Orbitz!
- Thinking of changing electric companies? Click here.
- It’s Chicago’s Money Week!
- Chicago drivers are going the distance, trying to beat those high prices at the gas pump, but is it
worth it? Click here to see Dorothy Tucker’s CBS Chicago report!
- Want to find the cheapest gas prices in your area? GasBuddy can help you! Click here.
- Visit Career Mapping for job hunting & career management advice! Click here.
- For nonprofit ratings of local service companies & health care providers, go to the Consumer’s Checkbook. For tips from the Consumer’s Checkbook
on what to look for when signing up for a health club, click here.
- For your easy path to opening free, high-interest checking, go to CheckingFinder.
- DepositAccounts will give you information on what to look for in in a bank, plus more!
- For the latest in news on mortgage rates, go to bankrates.com.
- Appetizers served until exhausted and cash bar available.
- Need some last minute Christmas gift ideas? Visit Working Advantage! Click here.
- For more on how to protect yourself when shopping online, visit AppRiver!
- WVON’s Favorite Resale Shops
- Platos Closet on (Clyburn Ave and Webster Ave)
- Elliots Consignment (Armitage and Halsted)
- Crossroads (Evanston)
- Cynthia’s Consignment (Milwaukee Ave)
- Looking for the best Black Friday deals? Click here to check out Brad’s Deals!
- For information from Low Card$ on the best credit card offers & rates, click here.
- To check out Shop It To Me, click here.
- Help for veterans: National Able Network, IL Dept. of Centeral Management Services, IL WorkNet, & Dept. of Veteran Affairs
- For car pricing, reviews, ratings & advice from Edmunds, click here.
- Click here to try Essence Makeover Magic!
- Legitimate Penny Auction websites: Quibids & Penny Auction Watch. Click here to see Dorothy’s CBS Chicago report on Penny Auctions.
- For information on Bed Bug protection & prevention, click here.
- For the latest information on the housing market in Illinois, click here.
- For consumer complaints, visit the Better Business Bureau website.
- To find a Cooling Center near you, click here.
- To get the lowest interest rate on a new credit card go to www.cardratings.com or www.indexcreditcards.com
- For Assistance in avoiding rental scams, check the record of any real estate management company listed with the Better Business Bureau or use an apartment finding and rental service accredited with the BBB for FREE by checking their website
- Consumer Group: People Overpaying On Phone Bills
- City of Chicago Business Affairs & Consumer Protection
- Garage Sale Guide
- How To Price And Promote Your Garage Sale
- Survey Shows What Shoppers Want At Garage Sales
- Before Garage Sale, Beware Of Recalled Items
- Customers can request assistance of trading assistant stores some know as unofficial eBay stores by contacting eBay through this link or typing “eBay trading assistant” into a search engine.
- Florida TV Reporter Goes Natural in Front of Viewers, click here for full story.
- Corynne Corbett’s Favorite Products
- Pantene Relaxed & Natural Shampoo (around $5) drugstore.com
- Roots of Nature Repair Shampoo (less than $10)
- Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo ($12) kinkycurly.com or target
- Design Essentials Moisture Retention Conditioning Shampoo $11 amazon.com<
- Jane Carter Solutions Leave-in Conditioner $9 Target stores
- WeaveCare Featherweight Detangler $4.99 soft-sheencarson.com
- Kinky Culy Knot Today $12 www.kinkycurly.com or target stores<
- Roots of Nature Reconstructing Deep Conditioner $6.99 soft-sheencarson.com
- Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonaise $9.99 walgreens.com
- Ellin Lavar Reconstructmasque $8 cvs.com
- Dr. Miracle’s Follicle Healer Deep Conditioner $1.69drmiracles.com(for 1.75 oz trial size)
- Miss Jessie’s Curly Pudding $22 missjessies.com or target stores
- Kinky Curly Curly Custard $17 kinkycurly.com or Target Stores
- Jane Carter Solutions Twist & Lock $22 target.com
- Organic Root Stimulator Lock & Twist Gel $3.99 drugstores/sallybeauty.com
- Jane Carter Solutions Natural Hold Locking Spray target.com
Finishing Products for Relaxed Hair
- Luster Renutrients Slick Stick $6
- Cream of Nature Argan Oil Gloss $6 amazon.com
- Creme of Nature Argan Oil Foam Wrap Lotion $5 amazon.com
- Organic Root Stimulator Weave Rx Hair Refreshener $5 amazon.com
Organic Root Stimulator Fertilizing Temple Balm $7-8 sallybeauty.com